Atrial Septal Defect ClinicalDengue fever Dengue haemorrhagic fever Diagnosis Signs and symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » features Physical Exam with TreatmentDengue fever Dengue haemorrhagic fever Diagnosis Signs and symptoms Treatment. Read more ... »
Ostium secundum atrial septal defect
Most common is ostium secundumASDEisenmenger syndrome (ASD, VSD, PDA With PAH with reversal of shunt - Right-to-Ieft shunt) with Treatment. Read more ... », located at mid interatrial septum.
It is a simple and common type of ASD with shunt from LA to RA. Usually asymptomatic and acyanotic in children and young adults.
- More common in females Presents usually in fourth decade.
- May present in infants, with features of left-to-right shunt i.e. dyspnoea, fatigueFatigue diagnosis medicine and treatment. Read more ... », recurrent lower respiratory tract infections.
- Adults have left ventricular failure
- Atrial arrhythmiasCOMPLICATIONS OF Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) AND TREATMENT -2. Read more ... » – atrial fibrillationAtrial fibrillation Causes and Treatment Indications of DC Cardioversion. Read more ... » is common JVPExamination of arterial pressure pulse with Jugular Venous Pulse (JVP). Read more ... » is normal or raised.
- There is hyperdynamic right ventricular impulse. Dirated pulmonary artery may give rise to systolic old Jsation over the left second intercostal space.
- There is a split first heartCOMPLETE MANAGEMENT OF AMI Coronary Care Unit (CCU). Read more ... » sound with loud Tl.
- Talere is grade 2 or 3 pulmonary ejection systolic murmur.
- There is wide fixed splitting of‘second heart soundCardiac Examination Auscultation of the Heart. Read more ... ».
- There is tricuspid mid diastolic flow murmur in the
- tricuspid area.
Atrial Septal Defect Physical Exam
- Infants and children with ASDs tend to be small for their age, even in the absence of complicating factors such as heart failureHeart Failure Causes Symptoms NYHA classification with Heart Failure Treatment. Read more ... » or other cardiacCOMPLETE MANAGEMENT OF AMI Coronary Care Unit (CCU). Read more ... » malformations
- SignsDengue fever Dengue haemorrhagic fever Diagnosis Signs and symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » vary according to extent of shunting:
- Prominent precordial bulge
- large left-to-right shunt may result in a precordial bulge due to atrial enlargement
- Palpable pulmonary artery pulse
- An enlarged and pulsatile pulmonary artery may be palpated at the second left intercostal space.
- Pulmonic flow murmur: Systolic ejection murmur
- Low-pitched diastolic murmur at left lower sternal border
- Right ventricular lift
- Fixed, widely split S2
- characteristic finding in ASDs with large left-to-right shunts and normal pulmonary artery pressureChronic Long-term Complications Of Diabetes Mellitus. Read more ... » is wide, fixed splitting of the second sound (S2)
- Cyanosis and clubbing (with severe pulmonary hypertensionChronic Long-term Complications Of Diabetes Mellitus. Read more ... »: Eisenmenger syndromeEisenmenger syndrome (ASD, VSD, PDA With PAH with reversal of shunt - Right-to-Ieft shunt) with Treatment. Read more ... »)
Atrial Septal Defect ECGCOMPLETE MANAGEMENT OF AMI Coronary Care Unit (CCU). Read more ... »
- Ostium secundum: Rightward axis, right ventricular hypertrophy, rSR’ pattern in V1
- Shows peaked P waves, rSR or Rs pattern in lead Vl ue to left atrial enlargement and right ventricular ypertrophy.
- Sinus venosus: Leftward axis, inverted P wave in lead III
- Note: All may be associated with PR prolongation.
Atrial Septal Defect X-ray
- Chest x-ray: Varying degrees of cardiac enlargement, increased pulmonary vascular workings, right ventricle and pulmonary artery enlargement
- Shows increased pulmonary arterial vascularity, small ascending aorta, large dilated pulmonary trunk and its branches, dilated right atrium and right ventricle.
- Echocardiography2D Echocardiography Dobutamine Stress Echocardiography. Read more ... »: Pulmonary arterial and right ventricular dilatation and anterior systolic (paradoxical) septal motion
Atrial Septal Defect Treatment
- Appropriate health care: Referral to a cardiologist for evaluation
- Majority of small ASDs will close spontaneously; however, close follow-up is warranted
- Closure is usually delayed until preschool age (2–4 years), except for large defects to be repaired earlier.
- Closure via percutaneous transcatheter device or surgery