Cor pulmonale CausesDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » of Cor pulmonale SymptomsDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » with Types and TreatmentDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » –
Cor pulmonale is enlargement of right ventricle . secondary to diseases of lungs, thorax, pulmonary ventilation or pulmonary circulation.
Living for an extended period at a high altitude also may cause this condition.
Cor pulmonale is the alteration of right ventricular structure or function that is due to pulmonary hypertensionThyroid Disorders Examination and Laboratory tests. Read more ... » caused by diseases affecting the lung or its vasculature.
- Hypertrophy or failure of the right ventricle resulting from disorders of the lungs, pulmonary vessels, or chest wall.
- The RV enlargement can lead to RV dilatation and RV failure.
- In ulmonar vascular diseaseDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » and pulmonary -.parenchymal disease, the pulmonary vascular resistance is elevated.
Causes of Cor pulmonale
- · ChronicChronic Hepatitis Classification viral hepatitis Clinical features and Treatment. Read more ... » obstructive lung disease
- · Hypoxia
- · Pulmonary hypertension due to any cause
- · Pulmonary emboli
- · Pulmonary vasculitis
- · Pulmonary venoocclusive disease
- · High altitude
- · Acidosis
- Primary pulmonary hypertension
- · Restrictive lung diseases
- · Interstitial lung disease.
- · Chronic vasculitis
- · Collagen disorders
- CREST syndromeMetabolic,Insulin Resistance Syndrome X Causes Symptoms. Read more ... » (Calcinosis, Ranaud’s phenomenon, Esophageal dysmotility, Sclerodactyly, Telangiectasia).
- - Left to right shunt in congenital heartSinus Tachycardia and Sinus Bradycardia Definition Causes and Treatment. Read more ... » diseases like:
- - PDAPatent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) Clinical features Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... » patent ductus arteriosus.
- - ASDEisenmenger syndrome (ASD, VSD, PDA With PAH with reversal of shunt - Right-to-Ieft shunt) with Treatment. Read more ... » atrial septal defectAtrial Septal Defect ASD Clinical features Physical Exam with Treatment. Read more ... »
- - VSDEisenmenger syndrome (ASD, VSD, PDA With PAH with reversal of shunt - Right-to-Ieft shunt) with Treatment. Read more ... » ventricular septal defectVentricular Septal Defect (VSD) CLINICAL FEATURES and examination Investigations with Treatment. Read more ... »
Types of Cor pulmonale –
- ACUTEDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » COR PULMONALE
- CHRONIC COR PULMONALE
ACUTE COR PULMONALE
- Pulmonary thromboembolism is the main cause of acute corpurmonale -
- There is acute right heart failureHeart Failure Treatment Heart Failure GENERAL PRINCIPLES. Read more ... » due to massive or multiple emboli .
- There is fall in cardiacGrave's disease Causes and Treatment. Read more ... » output due to sudden obstruction in the pulmonary vascular circulation.
- There is pallor, sweating, hypotensionDiabetic Nephropathy and Renal complications of DM (Diabetes Mellitus). Read more ... », rapid thready pulse .
- Neck veins are distended.
- JVPExamination of arterial pressure pulse with Jugular Venous Pulse (JVP). Read more ... » is raised, with prominent v waves.
- Pa02 is reduced.
- The embolus may be thrombus, IV drugs, parasites, tumour tissue.
- There is sudden-onset, severe dyspnoea and cardiovascular collapseCardiac Arrest Causes Symptoms Features and Management. Read more ... ».
- There is tricuspid regurgitationTricuspid Stenosis and Tricuspid Regurgitation Symptoms Investigations and Treatment. Read more ... » – v waves in JVP, systolic murmur, and 54.
- There is pulsatile liver.
- There is tender hepatomegalyAlcoholic Liver Disease Diagnosis CAGE criteria and Treatment. Read more ... ».
- Death can occur within 1 hour.
Treatment COR PULMONALE
- Anticoagulation, Heparin, low molecular weight heparinDeep Vein Thrombosis Embolizations Antiplatelet Anticoagulant Treatment Therapy. Read more ... »
- Blood volume expanders 100% oxygen
CHRONIC COR PULMONALE
- There is gradual increase in pulmonary vascular rasistance, RV-hypertrophy, and increased’ pulmonary artery pressureChronic Long-term Complications Of Diabetes Mellitus. Read more ... ».
ClinicalDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » features and Symptoms of COR PULMONALE
- Symptoms include chronic productive cough, exertional dyspnea, wheezing, fatigueFatigue diagnosis medicine and treatment. Read more ... », weakness, drowsiness, and alterations in level of consciousness.
- Chest painApproach to Chest Pain Differential diagnosis of chest pain. Read more ... »
- Hepatomegaly – The liver is enlarged and tender, and hepatojugular reflux is present.
- The pulse is weak.
- Systolic murmur of TR (tricuspid regurgitation)
- Diastolic murmur of PR (pulmonary regurgitation)
- Prominent a and v waves in JVP Right ventricular failure
- A gallop rhythm, tricuspid insufficiency, or a right ventricular heave may be present.
- Right ventricular heave
- PUlmonary ejection click
- Loud P 2
- .S3RV(Right ventricular third heart soundCardiac Examination Auscultation of the Heart. Read more ... »)
Chest X-ray :
- Right ventricular failure may result in right ventricular and right atrial dilatation on chest radiography.
- Pulmonary trunk and hilar vessels are enlarged.
- The characteristic chest radiograph in pulmonary arterial hypertension shows enlargement of the central pulmonary arteries
Vascular Doppler :
- There is deep vein thrombosis in lower extremities.
- RVH (right ventricular hypertrophy)
- Right axis deviationThe cardiac axis Right Axis Deviation and Left Axis Deviation Causes and Treatment. Read more ... » and R/S ratio greater than 1 in lead V1.
- RAD (right axis deviation).
- P pulmonale – Increased P wave amplitude in lead II (P pulmonale) due to right atrial enlargement
- Pulmonary artery pressure increased RVSP- (RV systolic pressure) increased TR (tricuspid regurgitation)
- Most patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension have two-dimensional echocardiographic signsDiarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment. Read more ... » of chronic right ventricular pressure overload
- PR (pulmonary regurgitation
- RV wall thickness increased RV dilatation
- IVS( interventricular septum) displaced towards left
- RV mass, thickness, volume increased and EF (ejection fraction) decreased.
Cardiac catheterization :
- There is increased pulmonary artery pressure Congenital heart diseasesCONGENITAL HEART DISEASES General HEART Malformations defects or structural problem. Read more ... » ruled out Pulmonary angiographyCoronary Angiography -Indications of Coronary Arteriography (Angiography). Read more ... » done
- EF (ejection fraction) of RV and LV.
- RV pressure measured
Lung Biopsy for :
- Pathologic assessment of pulmonary artery hypertension requires lung biopsy.
- Pulmonary function tests should be performed in patients with the history of underlying lung disease and in those with normal cardiac function.
- Collagen vascular diseasesPERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE Pathology Clinical Features Symptoms. Read more ... » Rheumatoid arthritis.
Treatment for Cor pulmonale
- The medicalDizziness cause diagnosis treatment. Read more ... » managementChronic Renal Failure (CRF) Risk factors Causes Stage CRF Treatment. Read more ... » of patients with cor pulmonale has centered upon attempts to improve oxygenation
- Treatment of thromboembolismCOMPLICATIONS OF Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) AND TREATMENT -2. Read more ... »
- Treat COPD – long-term oxygen therapy Bronchodilators
- Oxygen therapy relieves pulmonary vasoconstriction,
- thereby decreasing pulmonary vascular resistance;
- as a result, the right ventricle increases stroke volume and cardiac output.
- Nitric oxide inhalation Prostacycline
- Correct acidosis and alkalosisAcidosis & Alkalosis physiology with signs and symptoms. Read more ... ».