Article Contents ::
Dengue Classical dengue fever Dengue haemorrhagic fever Diagnosis Signs and symptoms Treatment
|Dengue fever Dengue haemorrhagic fever Diagnosis Signs and symptoms Treatment|
Dengue viruses are arboviruses which infect humans and cause disease.
|Dengue viruses are arboviruses which infect humans and cause disease|
Dengue infection may be
- 1. Asymptomatic
- 2. Classical dengue fever
- 3. Dengue haemorrhagic fever
- 4. Dengue haemorrhagic fever with shock
- It is an arthropod-borne disease. The insect vector is the Aedes aegypti.
|The insect Dengue vector is the Aedes aegypti|
Classical dengue fever
- Also called breakbone fever. It is an acute illness caused by the bite of ae es mosquito.
- Incubation period is 5-6 days.
- There is sudden onset fever with chills, headache, muscle and joint pains which may be very severe.
|Classical dengue fever Signs and symptoms|
- There is pain in the eyes and photophobia.
- There is extreme weakness, pain in abdomen, sore throat and depression.
- Fever may be very high and may disappear in two days.
- Skin eruption appears in 2 days and lasts for 2 days only.
The rashes are like very tiny pin-point eruptions on face, neck and chest. Later, i.e. on the 4th day maculopapular rashes may be seen with itching. The rash lasts for a few days.
|Dengue haemorrhagic fever Diagnosis Signs and symptoms|
Dengue haemorrhagic fever
- It is a severe form of dengue with incubation period of 4-6 days.
- There is high fever, anorexia, vomiting, pain in abdomen.
- Rashes are uncommon.
- There is marked thrombocytopenia.
- There are petechiae, purpura, epistaxis, bleeding gums, hematemesis, malena and hepatomegaly.
- There may be circulatory failure or hypotension, cold clammy skin, restlessness and even profound shock.
|Dengue fever Dengue haemorrhagic feve|
- Thrombocytopenia – 100 thousand per mm3 or less. Hematocrit increased by 20% or more.
- Features of shock are seen.
- Complete Bed rest
- Antipyretics and sponging Oral fluids and electrolytes IV fluids.