Post Contents List
- 1 Diarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment
- 2 Diarrhea
- 3 ACUTE DIARRHEA
- 4 Causes of Acute Diarrhea
- 5 Infections (which cause diarrheal
- 6 Medications (which cause diarrhea)
- 7 Symptoms –
- 8 Physical Exam
- 9 ACUTE DIARRHEA Diagnosis
- 10 ACUTE DIARRHEA Treatment
- 11 CHRONIC DIARRHEA
- 12 Causes of Chronic Diarrhea
- 13 Chronic Diarrhea Diagnosis
- 14 Chronic Diarrhea Treatment
Diarrhea Causes Diagnosis Symptoms Treatment
DiarrheaFicus Religiosa Pipal tree Ayurvedic Medicine Ficus religiosa Pipal Medicine of gastric problems diabetes diarrhea. Read more ... » is passage of abnormally liquid or unformed stools at an increased frequency.
- The following definitions have been suggested according to the duration of diarrhea
- AcuteCardiomyopathy Clinical features Etiology Diagnosis Dilated Hypertrophic Restrictive cardiomyopathy with Treatment. Read more ... » — ≤ 14 days in duration
- Persistent diarrhea — more than 14 days in duration
- ChronicChronic Hepatitis Classification viral hepatitis Clinical features and Treatment. Read more ... » — more than 30 days in duration
- The weight of stool is more than 200 gm/day.
- Acute diarrhea is diarrhea of <2 weeks.
- Chronic diarrhea is of >4 weeks duration.
- Persistent diarrhea is diarrhea for 2-4 weeks.
- Pseudodiarrhea is frequent passage of small volume of stool as in irritable bowel syndromeMetabolic,Insulin Resistance Syndrome X Causes Symptoms. Read more ... » and proctitis.
- Fecal incontinence is the involuntary passage of stools due to neuromuscular disorders or structural abnormalities.
- Abnormal increase in stool frequency or liquidity in an otherwise healthy individual
- Often self-limiting; <14 days duration
- Acute viral diarrhea (50–70%):
- Most common form; usually occurs for 1–3 days; self-limited
- CausesCardiomyopathy Clinical features Etiology Diagnosis Dilated Hypertrophic Restrictive cardiomyopathy with Treatment. Read more ... » changes in small intestinal cell morphology, such as villous shortening and an increase in the number of crypt cells
- passage of fluid or unformed stools. In acute diarrhea, the frequency of bowel movements and the volume of fluid lost determine the severity of the illness.
- Acute diarrhepa is usually due to infections.
- There is vomitingNausea and Vomiting. Read more ... », feverHow to Manage Hay Fever at Home. Read more ... » and. abdominal pain.
- Acute — ≤ 14 days in duration
Causes of Acute Diarrhea
- Medications or drugCardiomyopathy Clinical features Etiology Diagnosis Dilated Hypertrophic Restrictive cardiomyopathy with Treatment. Read more ... » induced
- Toxin ingestion
Infections (which cause diarrheal
- E. coli
- Staphylococcus aureus Hepatitis A and B
- Clostridium difficile.
Medications (which cause diarrhea)
- Loose liquid stools ± blood or mucus
- Abdominal pain and distension
- Determine hydration status; look for decreased skin turgor, dry mucous membranes, hypotensionDiabetic Nephropathy and Renal complications of DM (Diabetes Mellitus). Read more ... », or decreased urination.
- In children: absence of tears, depressed fontanelles, dry diapers.
- Abdominal exam to rule out potential surgical causes of diarrhea such as appendicitis or pelvic abscess
- Frequent watery bowel movements or stools with pus, blood, oils, or mucus are characteristic of diarrhea,
- as are abdominal cramping, bloating, or rectal discomfort.
- When volume losses from diarrhea are large, symptoms of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance, such as dizzinessDizziness cause diagnosis treatment. Read more ... », thirst, and prostration, are common.
ACUTE DIARRHEA Diagnosis
- Passage of ≥ 6 unformed stools per 24 hours or a duration of illness >48 hours
- · Gross examinationHow to take good medical history & examination. Read more ... » of stool
- · Microbiologic analysis of stool
- · Culture for bacteria and virus
- · Immunoassay
- · Sigmoidoscopy
- · Biopsy
- · Upper GI endoscopy with – Biopsy, duodenal aspirates
- ·CT scan. :
- Profuse watery diarrhea with signsCardiomyopathy Clinical features Etiology Diagnosis Dilated Hypertrophic Restrictive cardiomyopathy with Treatment. Read more ... » of hypovolemia
- Passage of many small volume stools containing blood and mucus
- Bloody diarrhea
- Temperature ≥ 38.5ºC (101.3ºF)
- Systemic illness with diarrhea, especially in pregnant women (in which case listeriosis should be suspected)
ACUTE DIARRHEA Treatment
- Fluid replacement
- Oral sugar electrolyte solutions \7 IV rehydration
- Loperamide – Antimotility, antisecretory agents v/ Bismuth subsalicylate
- Antibiotics – QUinolones like ciprofloxacin 500 mg BD for 5 days
- Metronidazole 250 mg qid for 7 days.
- Diarrhea lasting more than 4 weeksis chronic diarrhea.
- Usually the causes are non infectiousFicus Religiosa Pipal tree Ayurvedic Medicine Ficus religiosa Pipal Medicine of gastric problems diabetes diarrhea. Read more ... ».
Causes of Chronic Diarrhea
- · Medications
- · Infections
- · Bowel resection
- · Mucosal diseaseCardiomyopathy Clinical features Etiology Diagnosis Dilated Hypertrophic Restrictive cardiomyopathy with Treatment. Read more ... » – Crohn’s disease and regional ileitis
- · Idiopathic secretory diarrhea
- · Metastatic gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors
- · Primary bronchial carcinoids
- · Pancreatic choleraInfections CHOLERA Caused by Vibrio cholerae with diagnosis Treatment Signs and symptoms. Read more ... »
- · VIP oma – Vasoactive intestinal peptide tumorUses of Ayurveda for Improvement in Cancer Patients Treatment. Read more ... »
- · Medullary carcinoma of thyroidACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... »
- · Lactase deficiency – carbohydrate malabsorption
- · Steatorrhea – stool fat exceeding – 7 g/day
- · Celiac sprue – gluten-sensitive enteropathy
- Tropical sprue .
- Whipple’s disease – Treponema infection Mycobacterium avium Abetalipoproteinemia
- HyperthyroidismHyperthyroidism or THYROTOXICOSIS Causes, Symptoms and Diagnosis. Read more ... »
- ~ Irritable bowel syndrome
- . y Munchausen syndrome – Made-up diarrhea, false diarrhea.
Chronic Diarrhea Diagnosis
- General examinationHow to take good medical history & examination. Read more ... »
- History of medications
- Gross examination of stools
- Microscopic examination
- Screen for gastrin, VIP – vasoactive intestinal peptide, calcitonin
- Diarrhea in the elderly (≥ 70 years of age) or the immunocompromised
- Severe abdominal pain
- Recent use of antibiotics or hospitalized patients
- TSHACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... »
- Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy
- Small bowel barium x-ray
- Test of lactose intolerance
- Culture of stools
- Biopsies by colonoscopy .
Chronic Diarrhea Treatment
- Treatment of etiology
- Avoid lactose in lactase deficiency Stop the offending medications
- Diphenoxylate or loperamide to stop the diarrhea
- Tincture of opium, codein for severe diarrhea Clonidine in diabetic diarrhea
- Fat soluble vitamins in chronic steatorrhoea.