Post Contents List
- 1 ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE
- 2 Etiology OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- 3 Clinical features OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- 4 Diagnosis OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- 5 Treatment OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- 6 Contraindications —
- 7 Prevention ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE :
- 8 WHO recommendations state that medical therapy should be used for :
- 9 HYMENOLEPIASIS NANA
- 10 Treatment OF HYMENOLEPIASIS NANA:
ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE
Infection in humans is caused by larva of Echinococcus granulosus. The definitive hosts are dogs.
|ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASEVentricular Septal Defect (VSD) CLINICAL FEATURES and examination Investigations with Treatment. Read more ... » Infection in humans|
- Eggs’are passed in the faeces of dogs.
- Cysts develop in man after ingestion of eggs.
|HYDATID DISEASE Infection in humans is caused by larva of Echinococcus granulosus|
Etiology OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- · After man eats the eggs, the embryos / larva penetrate the intestine, enter the portal circulation and go to the liver and lungs. The larvas develop into hydatid cysts.
- · Daughter cysts develop inside the hydatid cysts.
- New larvas also develop in brood capsules which are cystic structures inside the hydatid cysts.
- · The cysts increase in size and may even rupture.
|Echinococcosis or Hydatid Disease LIFE CYCLE|
Clinical features OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- · Echinococcal cysts enlarge and give rise to symptoms in the involved organ.
- · The liver and lungs are commonly involved.
- · Cysts may be accidentally detected on x-ray or ultrasound.
- · There is abdominal pain or palpable mass in the region of liver.
- · There may be compression of bile duct, biliary obstruction, jaundiceCauses of jaundice with diagnosis and bio markers. Read more ... ».
- · Rupture or leak of cyst produces feverThyrotoxic crisis or Thyroid storm. Read more ... », itching, urticaria, eosinophilia and even anaphylaxis.
- · Pulmonary hydatid cysts may rupture into bronchial tree or peritoneal cavity.
- · There may be coughInfluenza SARS and Whooping Cough Signs and Symptoms with Diagnosis and Treatment. Read more ... », chest painApproach to Chest Pain Differential diagnosis of chest pain. Read more ... », hemoptysis.
- · Cysts may also be present in bone, CNS, heartCOMPLICATIONS OF Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) AND TREATMENT -2. Read more ... », pelvis.
- · The cysts may metastasize to spleen, lungs and brain.
|Echinococcosis or Hydatid Disease CYSTS|
Diagnosis OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- · Cysts may be seen in X-ray, ultrasound, MRI, CT scans.
- · Well-defined cysts with thick and thin walls like egg shell or thick lines may be seen on CT or uItrasou nd.
- · Aspirated fluid from cysts may show scolices and hooklets.
- · Serodiagnostic assay - Specific echinococcal antigens by immunoblot is a highly specific test.
Treatment OF ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE:
- potential treatmentVentricular Septal Defect (VSD) CLINICAL FEATURES and examination Investigations with Treatment. Read more ... » modalities, including, laparoscopic techniques, the PAIR (Percutaneous Aspiration, Introduction of a protoscolicidal agent and Reaspiration) procedure,
- and chemotherapy, which in certain cases, renders open techniques unnecessary
- Surgery should be done with care as the rupture of cysts can cause anaphylaxis.
- PAIR treatment (Percutaneous Aspiration, Infusion of drugs – scolicidal agents, Reaspiration) for cysts with multiple septa and cysts in the biliary tree.
- AlbendazoleIntestinal Infaction Nematodes ASCARIS Lumbricoides Signs & Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment. Read more ... » 15 mg/kg/day in two divided doses 4 days before and 4 days after PAIR.
- Praziquantel – 50 mg/kg/day for 2 weeks. Albendazole for 3-6 months with or without PAIR.
- Patients at the extremes of age
- Pregnant women
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations, surgery is contraindicated in:
- Patients whose general condition is very poor
- Patients with multiple cysts or cysts that are difficult to access Patients with dead or totally calcified cysts
Prevention ECHINOCOCCOSIS OR HYDATID DISEASE :
- · Proper hygiene
- · Praziquantel to dogs to reduce infection.
WHO recommendations state that medical therapy should be used for :
- Multiple small liver cysts or cysts deep in liver parenchyma
- Peritoneal cysts Patients following incomplete surgery or relapse
- Patients with inoperable disease or those unfit for surgery
- Patients with multiple cysts in two or more organs
- Prevention of secondary spread of echinococcal infection following spontaneous rupture or aspiration of cysts
|HYMENOLEPIASIS NANA LIFE CYCLE|
- It is due to a tapeworm, common in children. It does not require an intermediate host. Usually asymptomatic.
- Anorexia, pain in abdomen and diarrheaFicus Religiosa Pipal tree Ayurvedic Medicine Ficus religiosa Pipal Medicine of gastric problems diabetes diarrhea. Read more ... » occurs.
Treatment OF HYMENOLEPIASIS NANA:
- Praziquantel – 25 mg/kg single dose.