Ficus religiosa Pipal tree Ayurvedic Medicine Ficus religiosa Pipal tree or Pippala
Ficus religiosa Pippala, Pipal tree Is One of the most religious plant in INDIA Hindu camunity, this is commonly called by Pippala and it is almost available in every Hindu Temple for worship ,along with it’s mythological qualities this Ficus religiosa Pippala is the most important in Medicinal way, it’s bark and other parts are used in various kind of disease or disorders in Ayurveda Medicinal system, Ficus religiosa Pippala ,Asvattha consists of dried bark of Ficus religiosa Linn.
- Ficus religiosa Pippala is a large perennial tree,
- glabrous when young, found throughout the plains of India upto 170 m altitude in the Himalayas, largely planted as an avenue and roadside tree especially near temples.
- Ficus religiosa Pippala is used in traditional medicine for almost 50 types of disorders including gastric problems, inflammatory disorders,asthma, diabetes, diarrhea, epilepsy, infectious and sexual disorders
Ficus religiosa Pippala SYNONYMS
- Sanskrit : Pippala
- Hindi : Pipala, Pipal
- Assamese : Ahant
- Bengali : Asvattha, Ashud, Ashvattha
- English : Pipal tree
- Gujrati : Piplo, Jari, Piparo, Pipalo
- Kannada : Arlo, Ranji, Basri, ,Ashvathamara, Basari, Ashvattha ,Ashvatthanara, Ashwatha, Aralimara, Aralegida, Ashvathamara,
- Oriya : Aswatha
- Punjabi : Pipal, Pippal
- Tamil : Ashwarthan, Arasamaram, Arasan, Arasu, Arara
- Telugu : Ravichettu
- Kashmiri : Bad
- Malayalam : Arayal
- Marathi : Pipal, Pimpal, Pippal
Scientific classification of Ficus religiosa Pippala
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Order: Urticales
- Family: Moracea
- Genus: Ficus
- Species: F. religiosa
- Binomial name Ficus religiosa
Ficus religiosa Pippala DESCRIPTION habitat
- found throughout the plains of India upto 170 m altitude in the Himalayas, largely planted as an avenue and roadside tree especially near temples.
- The leaves of ASVATTHA Ficus religiosa Pippala are chordate in shape with a distinctive extended tip;Ficus religiosa Pippala leaves are 10–17 cm long and 8–12 cm broad, with a 6–10 cm petiole.
- Ficus religiosa Pippala fruit is a small fig 1-1.5 cm diameter, green ripening purple.
- Ficus religiosa Pippala Bark occurs in flat or slightly curved pieces, varying from 1.0-2.5 cm or more in thickness, fracture, fibrous, taste, astringent, outer surface brown or ash coloured,inner surface smooth and somewhat brownish, surface uneven due to exfoliation of cork, .
- Transverse section of bark shows compressed rectangular to cubical,mostly composed of stone cells towards periphery, stone cells found scattered in large groups, thick-walled cork cells and dead elements of secondary cortex, consisting of masses of stone cells, cork cambium distinct with 3-4 rows of newly formed secondary cortex, rarely isolated,
- Ficus religiosa Pippala phloem fibres in singles or in groups of 2 to many and non-lignified, numerous crystal fibres also present, stone cells present in single or in small groups similar to those in secondary cortex, a number of ray-cells and phloem parenchyma filled with brown pigments,
- most of parenchymatous cells of secondary cortex contain numerous starch grains and few prismatic crystals of calcium oxalate, secondary phloem a wide zone, consisting of sieve elements,
- Ficus religiosa Pippala in tangential section ray cells circular to oval in shape, cambium when present, medullary rays uni to multiseriate, wider towards outer periphery composed of thick-walled cells with simple pits, consists of 2-4 layers of thin-walled rectangular cells.
- Ficus religiosa Pippala in outer region sieve elements mostly collapsed while in inner region intact, phloem parenchyma mostly thick-walled, prismatic crystals of calcium oxalate and starch grains present in a number of parenchymatous cells,
CONSTITUENTS – Tannins.
PROPERTIES AND ACTION
- Rasa : Kashaya
- Guna : Guru, Ruksha
- Virya : sita
- Vipaka : Katu
- Karma : Bhagnasandhanakara (bone fracture),Kaphapittavinasi, Mutrasangrahaniya , Varnya, Samghari,
Ficus religiosa Pippala IMPORTANT FORMULATIONS –
- Nyagrodhadi ,Nyagrodhadi Churna , Kwatha Churna,
Ficus religiosa Pippala THERAPEUTIC USES –
- Vatarakta,Raktapitta, Vrana, Yonidosa, Prameha ,
- asthma, diabetes, inflammatory disorders,
- infectious and sexual disorders,
- diarrhea, epilepsy, gastric problems,
Ficus religiosa Pippala Ayurvedic DOSE –
- 20-30 g of the drug for decoction