Helminthic Infections Cestodes NEMATODESFILARIASIS Lymphatic Systems Disease Causes Diagnosis Signs and Symptoms with Treatment. Read more ... » (Round WormsEchinococcosis or Hydatid Disease Infection Causes Signs and Symptoms Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... »)
|Cestodes NEMATODES (Round Worms)|
- Nematodes are elongated and symmetrical round worms. They are classified as intestinal or tissue nematodes.
Helminthic Infections Tissue Nematodes TRICHINELLOSIS
- It develops after ingestion of meat containing cysts of Trichinella, like pork or other meat.
- Infections are usually mild and asymptomatic. Heavy infections can cause enteritis, periorbital edema, myositis and sometimes death.
|Tissue Nematodes TRICHINELLOSIS|
Lab findings of Helminthic Infections
- · There is marked eosinophilia, increased IgE, increased creatine phosphokinase level, rise in titre of of parasite antibody.
- ·Larvae may be seen in histopathologic section.
- Bed rest
- Glucocorticoids for myositis and myocarditisMYOCARDITIS Physical Examination Symptoms Clinical Manifestations Diagnosis. Read more ... » MebendazoleIntestinal Infaction Nematodes ASCARIS Lumbricoides Signs & Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment. Read more ... » and AlbendazoleIntestinal Infaction Nematodes ASCARIS Lumbricoides Signs & Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment. Read more ... » are effective against enteric stages of the parasite but not against encysted larvae.
|Cestodes NEMATODES (Round Worms) Life Cycle|
Visceral and Ocular larva migrans Helminthic Infections-
- It is a syndrome caused by nematodes which normally do not infect the humans. They migrate through the host and cause eosinophilic inflammation. Example is Toxocara canis.
Cutaneous larva migrans –
- Creeping eruptions or cutaneous larva migrans is serpiginous skin eruptions due, to larvae of hookworms which usually attack the dog and cats, called Ancylostoma braziliense.
- It is especially common in children.
- There are erythematous lesions which are pruritic. Vesicle and bullae may form later.
Treatment of Helminthic Infections
- Ivermectin – 200 mg/kg or Albendazole 200 mg BD for 3 days.