Post Contents List
What is HYPOTHYROIDISM ?
- HypothyroidismHypopituitarism Diagnosis and Treatment. Read more ... » is a state of deficient function of the thyroidThyrotoxic crisis or Thyroid storm. Read more ... » gland i.e. deficient secretion of thyroid hormones.
- In hypothyroidism normal thyroid hormoneAnterior Pituitary Hormones and Disorders. Read more ... » levels are maintained by a rise in TSHACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... ». This is called subclinical hypothyroidism.
- Later free T4 level falls and TSH levels rise further. This is the stage of clinical hypothyroidism when features of deficiency of thyroid hormones become manifest.
- Sub-clinicalDyslipidemia in diabetes Signs Management Treatment of Diabetic Dyslipidemia. Read more ... » hypothyroidism is found in 10% of women over the age of 60 years.
Types of hypothyroidism
- is a primary deficiency of thyroid hormones due to hyposecretion by the thyroid gland.
- A normal TSH level means that the patient cannot have primary hypothyroidism. In primary hypothyroidism i. e. diseaseDyslipidemia in diabetes Signs Management Treatment of Diabetic Dyslipidemia. Read more ... » of thyroid responsible for hypothyroidism, the TSH level rises. As a screening test TSH estimation is very good.
- T4 cannot be used as a screening test because it cannot detect sub clinical hypothyroidism (normal T4 with elevated TSH).
- is due to anterior pituitary hormone deficiencies.
- Isolated TSH deficiencyACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... » is rare.
- TSH levels may be normal, low or slightly increased in secondary hypothyroidism. Free T4 is low.
Signs and Symptoms of HYPOTHYROIDISM
- Carpal tunnel syndromeMetabolic,Insulin Resistance Syndrome X Causes Symptoms. Read more ... »
- Cold intolerance
- Decreased memory, concentration
- Decreased sweating
- DepressionVisada Depression Ayurveda and Modern. Read more ... »
- Hearing impairment
- Modest weight gain (10 lb [4.5 kg])
- Muscle cramps
- Onset may be insidious, subtle
- Weakness, fatigueFatigue diagnosis medicine and treatment. Read more ... », lethargy
- Physical Exam
- BradycardiaSINUS Bradycardia Bradyarrhythmia Symptoms Causes Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... »
- Coarsening or huskiness of voice
- Delayed relaxation of deep-tendon reflexes
- Dry, coarse skin
- Dull facial expression
- Increased diastolic BP
- Periorbital puffiness
- Reduced body and scalp hair
- Reduced systolic BP
- Swelling of hands and feet (nonpitting)
Causes of hypothyroidism:
- 1. Autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s thyroiditisThyroid Goiter. Read more ... »)
- 2. Iodine deficiency
- 3. Amiodarone and lithium
- 4. Antithyroid drugs
- 5. Iodine excess
- 6. Congenital hypothyroidism
- 7. After thyroidectomy or irradiation
- 8. Thyroiditis
- 9. HypopituitarismHypopituitarism Diagnosis and Treatment. Read more ... »
- 10. HypothalamicHypothalamic, Pituitary And Other Sellar Masses. Read more ... » diseases.
Clinical Manifestations of Hypothyroidism
- · Tiredness and weakness
- · Dry skin
- · Feeling of cold
- · Hair loss
- · Difficulty in concentration and poor memory
- · Constipation, weight gain, poor appetite
|•||Hoarseness of voice|
|•||Edema – Non-pitting|
|•||Delayed tendon reflex|
|•||Carpal tunnel syndrome|
HYPOTHYROIDISM Associated Conditions
- Down syndrome
- HypercholesterolemiaDyslipidemias Causes Risk Factors Epidemiology Etiology. Read more ... »
- Idiopathic adrenocorticoid deficiency
- Ischemic heartAcute Myocardial Infarction Management REGIME FOR MANAGEMENT OF AMI. Read more ... » disease
- Metabolic syndromeMetabolic,Insulin Resistance Syndrome X Causes Symptoms. Read more ... »
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Myasthenia gravis
- Rapid-cycling bipolar disorderSleep Disorders Types Diagnose Of Sleep Disorders. Read more ... »
- · TSH estimation (elevated)
- · T4 (Low)
- · TPO antibodies (thyroid peroxidase)
- · FNA (fine needle aspiration) biopsy
- · Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides
- · Anaemia.
Treatment of HYPOTHYROIDISM
- Levothyroxine 100 – 150 IJgjday.
- Lower doses may be given to patients of Grave’s disease who need replacement after treatment of hyperthyroidismHyperthyroidism or THYROTOXICOSIS Causes, Symptoms and Diagnosis. Read more ... ».
- Dose is adjusted to keep the TSH levels in the lower range. TSH is measured 2 months after start of treatment.
- There is full relief after 3 – 6 months, after normal TSH levels are regained.
- Levothyroxine is increased in doses of 25 IJg only. Overtreatment with T4 (thyroxine) results in reduced bone density and atrial fibrillationAtrial fibrillation Causes and Treatment Indications of DC Cardioversion. Read more ... ».
- Once TSH levels are stable, then TSH may be measured annually only.
- T4 has a long half life of 7 days, therefore, any missed doses can be made up by taking 2-3 tablets at once.
- Pregnant women should be made euthyroid. Patients should be euthyroid before surgery. Elderly patients require less thyroxine.