Post Contents List
Measles, Mumps Causative agents Diagnosis Clinical Signs and Symptoms With Treatment
MEASLES Caused by
- myxoviruses – rubeola. Rubeola means red spots Characterized by :
- · FeverThyrotoxic crisis or Thyroid storm. Read more ... »
- · URTI – coryza, coughInfluenza SARS and Whooping Cough Signs and Symptoms with Diagnosis and Treatment. Read more ... »
- · Typical rash
- Measles can cause high morbidity and mortality.
|Measles Causative Virus ,with Diagnosis Clinical Signs and Symptoms|
- MEASLES Causative agent:
- RNA paramyxovirus.
- MEASLES Source of infection
- A case of measles – nose,
- throat and
- respiratory tract secretions.
- MEASLES Infectivity
- 4 days before and 4 days after appearance of rash.
One infection gives life long immunityHow to Manage Hay Fever at Home. Read more ... ». There is no second attack.
- Occurs up to 5 years of age.
MEASLES Incubation period
- 2 weeks before rash to appearance of rash.
MEASLES Clinical features
- · For 4 days there is fever, cold, sneezing, cough, red eyes with watering, vomitingNausea and Vomiting. Read more ... », diarrhea.
- · Koplik’s spots are rashes on buccal mucosa opposite the molars seen 2 days before the rash. They are small bluish-white on red background and very tiny.
- · There is maculopapular rash behind the ears, face, neck up to legs.
- · Rashes may be separate or merged together.
- · Rashes disappear in 4 days.
- · There is weakness and loss of weight.
- · Diarrhea, Pneumonia, Otitis media.
- · Neurological complications – febrile convulsions, encephalitis, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE).
- SSPE is rare and occurs many years after measles.
- · Active immunizationHow to Manage Hay Fever at Home. Read more ... » – single subcutaneous dose of live attenuated vaccine are safe and effective.
- · Given at 9 months age.
- · There is fever for 5 days after vaccine.
|MumpsViral Diseases. Read more ... » Causative Virus Diagnosis Clinical Signs and Symptoms|
MUMPS Caused by
- Myxovirus parotiditis – RNA myxovirus. Involves glandular and nervous tissue.
- There is enlargement of parotid glands but no abscess.
|Mumps Causative Virus ,with Diagnosis Clinical Signs and Symptoms|
MUMPS Period of infectivity
- is one week before and one week after symptoms.
- MUMPS Age
- 5 to 15 years.
- One attack gives lifelong protection against mumps.
- MUMPS Spread is by
- droplet infection from case to case.
- MUMPS Incubation period
- is 18 days.
MUMPS Clinical features
- · There is pain and swelling of one or both parotid glands
- · There is earache
- · Pain and stiffness – on opening the mouth
- · Fever
- · HeadacheHeadache. Read more ... ».
- · Orchitis
- · Ovaritis
- · Pancreatitis
- · Meningo-encephalitis
- · MyocarditisMYOCARDITIS Physical Examination Symptoms Clinical Manifestations Diagnosis. Read more ... »
- · Nerve deafness.
- Live attenuated vaccine for one-year old children.