Schistosomiasis Flat Worms Signs and Symptoms Clinical features with Diagnosis Treatment
These are flat worms which can cause morbidity and mortality. They are also called adult flukes and invade blood, intestine, lungs and biliary tree.
|Schistosomiasis Flat Worms|
- Man is the definitive host and snails are intermediate hosts.
- One of several parasitic diseases due to infestation with blood flukes belonging to the genus Schistosoma.
- The flukes may colonize the urinary tract, mesenteries, liver, spleen, or biliary tree, causing symptoms from these organs
- Human infection occurs by direct penetration of skin or by ingestion.
|Schistosomiasis Flat Worms Life cycle|
Human infection is caused by 5 species:
- · S. mansoni
- · S. japonicum
- · S. mekongi
- · S. intercalatum
- · S. hematobium.
|Schistosomiasis Flat Worms Signs and Symptoms|
Clinical features of Schistosomiasis
- There is itchy, maculopapular rash on the skin. There is fever, lymphadenopathy, hepatosplenomegaly.
- There is peripheral blood eosinophilia.
- There may be portal hypertension, abdominal pain, bloody diarrhoea.
- There may be ascites, coagulation defects, Hydronephrosis may occur because of obstruction of ureters due to granuloma formation
- Pulmonary hypertension, cor-pulmonale, hemoptysis, may occur.
- CNS schistosomiasis may occur.
- Praziquantel – 25 mg / kg 3 doses in single day.