COMPLICATIONS / EFFECTS OF HYPERTENSI ON Heart
- The effects on the heart are Concentric LVH
- LV dilatation
- Heart failure
- Coronary atherosclerosis – angina and MI.
Physical examination of the heart reveals:
- Cardiomegaly LVH
- s3 present
- Swmmation gallop.
- A2 loud
- Murmur of AR 54 present
- Changes of IHD
- Death can occur due to MI and CHF.
Treatment of cardiac complications
- Treat hypertension
- Spirinolactone given to prevent cardiac damage by aldosterone
- ACE inhibitors
- Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs).
Neurologic Effects CNS dysfunction Features are:
- Occipital morning headaches
- Decreased vision
- Vascular occlusion
- Light headedness
- Cerebral haemorrhage Encephalopathy
- Cerebral infarction is due to increased atherosclerosis
- Cerebral haemorrhage is due to microaneLJrysms (Charcot – Bouchard aneurysm).
- Systolic arterial pressure has direct relation with development of cerebral haemorrhage.
Hypertensive encephalopathy The features are:
- · No focal neurological deficit
- Altered consciousness Increased intracranial pressure Retinopathy with papilledema Seizures
- If focal neurological signs are present, diagnosis is Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA), infarction or haemorrhage.