Article Contents ::
- 1 The Brand Name DESFERAL Has Generic Salt :: Desferrioxamine
- 2 DESFERAL Is From Company Novartis Priced :: Rs. 692
- 3 DESFERAL have Desferrioxamine is comes under Sub class Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes) of Main Class Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes)
- 4 Main Medicine Class:: Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes) Sub Medicine Class :: Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes)
- 5 Disclaimer ::
- 6 The Information available on this site is for only Informational Purpose , before any use of this information please consult your Doctor .Price of the drugs indicated above may not match to real price due to many possible reasons may , including local taxes etc.. These are only approximate indicative prices of the drug.
The Brand Name DESFERAL Has Generic Salt :: Desferrioxamine
DESFERAL Is From Company Novartis Priced :: Rs. 692
DESFERAL have Desferrioxamine is comes under Sub class Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes) of Main Class Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes)
Main Medicine Class:: Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes) Sub Medicine Class :: Toxicity and Poison Management (Antidotes)
|Salt Name : OR Generic Name||Form||Price : MRP /Probable||Packing|
Indications for Drugs ::
Iron overload, Aluminum overload, Iron poisoning
Drug Dose ::
Adult: IV Aluminum overload Patients w/ end stage renal failure or on haemodialysis or haemofiltration: 5 mg/kg once a wk during the last hr of dialysis or 5 hr before dialysis in severe cases. Patients on peritoneal dialysis: 5 mg/kg once a wk (via slow IV infusion/SC/IM/intraperitoneally) before the final exchange of the day. Diagnosis of aluminum overload 5 mg/kg during the last hr of the dialysis session. Acute iron poisoning Initial: 15 mg/kg/hr, reduce 4-6 hr later. Total dose: <80 mg/kg in 24 hr. IV/IM/SC Chronic iron overload Initial: 500 mg via IV/SC infusion. Usual: 20-60 mg/kg/day for 3-7 times/wk depending on extent of overload. Alternatively, initial: 0.5-1 g/day via IM administration, maintenance dose depends on response. IM Acute iron poisoning 2 g as a single dose. Diagnosis of iron storage disease 500 mg as a single dose. Contraindication ::
Severe renal disease or anuria.
Drug Precautions ::
Impaired renal function; may color the urine reddish-brown, exacerbate aluminum-related encephalopathy and precipitate seizure (prophylactic with antiepileptic if at risk); susceptible to infection; monitor urinary excretion of iron, ophthalmological, audiological and cardiac function examinations; pregnancy.
Drug Side Effects ::
Rapid IV injection: Flushing, urticaria, hypotension and shock. SC or IM injection: Local pain. Prolonged SC: Pruritus, erythema and swelling. GI disorders, dysuria, fever, allergic skin rashes, tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, convulsions and leg cramps; visual disturbances, cataract formation, hearing loss; may retard growth in very young childn. Pulmonary syndrome with high IV doses.
Pregnancy category ::
Drug Mode of Action ::
Deferoxamine has a high affinity for ferric iron and forms chelates or stable water-soluble complexes with iron and other trivalent metal ions eg, aluminum. It removes free and bound iron from haemosiderin and ferritin, increasing the excretion of iron in urine and bile.
Drug Interactions ::
Increased risk of neurological symptoms when used concurrently with phenothiazines. Ascorbic acid improves Fe excretion but it should not be given during the 1st mth of starting deferoxamine treatment as it may worsen Fe toxicity. May affect imaging results if given together with gallium-67.