Post Contents List
Cushing’s Syndrome Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Cushing’s diseaseHemolytic Anaemia Classification Diagnosis And Treatment. Read more ... » is a hormoneAnterior Pituitary Hormones and Disorders. Read more ... » disorderSleep Disorders Types Diagnose Of Sleep Disorders. Read more ... » caused by high levels of cortisol in the blood disease in which there is excess ACTHACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... » secretion, by pituitaryGrowth and Development Disorders GHD Diagnosis Treatment. Read more ... » adenomas.
- Cushing’s syndromeMetabolic,Insulin Resistance Syndrome X Causes Symptoms. Read more ... » is the signsHemolytic Anaemia Classification Diagnosis And Treatment. Read more ... » and symptomsHemolytic Anaemia Classification Diagnosis And Treatment. Read more ... » that result from prolonged exposure to excessive glucocorticoid hormones.
- Cushing’s syndrome hormone disorder caused by excessive production of adrenocorticotropic hormone in the body.
- It is more common in women.
- There is hypercortisolemia.
- On giving glucocorticoidsSome Facts about Glucocorticoid & Major side effects. Read more ... », the cortisol levels are suppressed indicating a pituitary origin.
- Cushing’s disease is hypercortisolemia due to pituitary adenomas.
- Cushing’s syndrome is excess cortisol due to any cause like exogenous ACTH tumorUses of Ayurveda for Improvement in Cancer Patients Treatment. Read more ... », adrenalGrowth and Development Disorders GHD Diagnosis Treatment. Read more ... » tumor, pituitary ACTH secreting tumor, excess glucocorticoid therapy.
Cushing’s Syndrome Symptoms
- most common feature of patients with Cushing’s syndrome hormone disorder is progressive central (centripetal) obesityGREEN TEA Health Benefits. Read more ... »
- thin, brittle skin, purple striae, gonadal dysfunction, osteoporosis, central obesity, hypertensionGREEN TEA Health Benefits. Read more ... », moon facies, diabetes mellitusOphthalmologic Complications of DM (Diabetes Mellitus). Read more ... » / glucose intolerance,depressionVisada Depression Ayurveda and Modern. Read more ... », mania, osteoporosis.
- proximal muscle weakness, acne, hirsutism,
- Menstrual irregularities are common in women with Cushing’s syndrome
- There is leukocytosis, lymphopenia, delayed hypersensitivity.
- In patients on steroids there is hyperpigmentation, myopathy,
- hypertension, hypokalemic alkalosis, edema, glucoseGlycogen Storage Diseases von Gierke disease, Andersen's disease, McArdle's disease. Read more ... » intolerance.
Cushing’s Syndrome Lab Diagnosis
- Estimation of 24-hour free cortisol in urine (UFC).
- Failure to suppress plasma cortisol after 1 mg dexamethasone given at night.
- Increased midnight levels of cortisol are found in Cushing’s syndrome (in normal persons the level of cortisol is low at midnight).
Cushing’s Syndrome Treatment
- Transsphenoidal resection Pituitary irradiation
- Ketoconazole, an antimycotic agent, lowers cortisol in Cushing’s disease, in doses of 600- 1200 mg/day.
- Other drugs are metyrapone, mitotane
- Adrenalectomy – Removal of both adrenal glands corrects hypercortisolism but results in Nelson’s syndrome i.e. pituitary tumor with high ACTH levels.