Post Contents List
- This is a state of hypothyroidismACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... » with altered consciousness or coma, sometimes seizures. There may be hypothermia.
- It is common in the elderly, and precipitated by seda-’ tives, antidepressants, pneumonia, CHF, MI, cerebrovascular accidents.
- marked by neurological dysfunction, by respiratory depressionVisada Depression Ayurveda and Modern. Read more ... », and by lowered body temperature, blood pressureChronic Long-term Complications Of Diabetes Mellitus. Read more ... », blood sugar, and serum sodiumRenin and Hypertension Low renin and High Renin essential hypertension with Treatment. Read more ... ».
- SystemTREATMENT OF HYPERTENSION Lifestyle modification WITH Drug treatment. Read more ... »(s) affected: EndocrineAldosteronism Clinical features Causes and Treatment. Read more ... »/Metabolic
- These patients may be hypoxaemic, hypercapneic, hyponatremic, hypoglycemic.
Myxedema coma Risk Factors
- History of Graves diseaseTREATMENT OF HYPERTENSION Lifestyle modification WITH Drug treatment. Read more ... »
- Increasing age
- Personal or family history of autoimmune diseases, including type 1 DM, Addison disease
- Previous head or neck irradiation
- Previous postpartum thyroiditisThyroid Goiter. Read more ... »
- Treatment with lithium, immune modulators such as IFN-, or the iodine-containing antiarrhythmic amiodarone
Myxedema coma DIAGNOSIS —
- The diagnosis of myxedema coma is initially based upon the history, physical examinationHow to take good medical history & examination. Read more ... », and exclusion of other causesTREATMENT OF HYPERTENSION Lifestyle modification WITH Drug treatment. Read more ... » of coma
Myxedema coma Initial Lab Tests
- •Primary hypothyroidism
- Serum free T4 decreased
- TSHACTH and TSH DEFICIENCY Diagnosis with Treatment. Read more ... » elevated
- •Central hypothyroidism:
- Impaired TSH response to TRH
- Serum free T4 decreased
- TSH low
- •Severe hypothyroidism:
- Elevated CPK, LDH, AST
- Elevated cholesterol
- •Subclinical hypothyroidism:
- TSH elevated
- Serum free T4 normal
Myxedema coma Treatment
- Levothyroxine-single IV bolus 500 mcg loading dose then 100 mcg/day. Levothyroxine may be given by nasogastric tubeInstruments & Procedures- Nasogastric tube. Read more ... » as crushed tablets.
- Patient is kept warm.
- Hydrocortisone IV 50 mg 6 hrly is given. Broad spectrum antibiotics for infection. Hypertonic saline and IV glucoseGlycogen Storage Diseases von Gierke disease, Andersen's disease, McArdle's disease. Read more ... ».