Article Contents ::
- 1 The Brand Name MIFEPRIN Has Generic Salt :: Mifepristone
- 2 MIFEPRIN Is From Company SUN Priced :: Rs. 325
- 3 MIFEPRIN have Mifepristone is comes under Sub class Progestins and Anti Progestins of Main Class Endocrine,Steroid Hormones , Metabolic System
- 4 Main Medicine Class:: Endocrine,Steroid Hormones , Metabolic System Sub Medicine Class :: Progestins and Anti Progestins
- 5 Disclaimer ::
The Brand Name MIFEPRIN Has Generic Salt :: Mifepristone
MIFEPRIN Is From Company SUN Priced :: Rs. 325
MIFEPRIN have Mifepristone is comes under Sub class Progestins and Anti Progestins of Main Class Endocrine,Steroid Hormones , Metabolic System
Main Medicine Class:: Endocrine,Steroid Hormones , Metabolic System Sub Medicine Class :: Progestins and Anti Progestins
|Salt Name : OR Generic Name||Form||Price : MRP /Probable||Packing|
Indications for Drugs ::
Termination of pregnancy, Labour induction, Cervical softening and dilatation, Postcoital contraception.
Drug Dose ::
1. As a medical alternative to surgical termination of intra-uterine pregnancy in early pregnancy: 600 mg Mifepristone (3 tablets) in a single oral dose followed 36-48 hrs later, by the administration of a prostaglandin analogue Misoprostol 400 mcg orally (up to 49 days). 2. Softening and dilatation of the cervix uteri prior to surgical pregnancy termination: 200 mg Mifepristone (one tablet), followed 36-48 hrs later (but not beyond) by a surgical termination of pregnancy. 3. Preparation for the action of prostaglandin analogues in the termination of pregnancy for medical reasons (to reduce the doses of prostaglandin): 600 mg of Mifepristone (3 tablets) taken in a single oral dose, 36-48 hrs prior to scheduled prostaglandin administration which will be repeated as often as indicated. 4. Labour induction for expulsion of a dead fetus (fetal death in utero): 600 mg of Mifepristone in a single oral daily dose for 2 consecutive days. Mifepristone alone leads to expulsion in about 60%. Labour should be induced by the usual methods if it has not started within 72 hrs following the first administration of Mifepristone. 5. Postcoital contraception 600 mg as a single dose w/in 72 hr of unprotected intercourse.
Confirmed or suspected ectopic pregnancy, chronic adrenal failure, concurrent long-term corticosteroid therapy, history of allergy to mifepristone, misoprostol or other prostaglandin, haemorrhagic disorders or concurrent anticoagulant therapy, porphyria, hepatic or renal impairment; pregnancy and lactation; IUD in place; undiagnosed adnexal mass.
Drug Precautions ::
Mifepristone must not be administered if there is doubt as to the existence or age of the pregnancy or if an extra-uterine pregnancy is suspected. An ultrasound scan and/or measurement of Beta-hCG must be performed before administration. For first trimester abortions, Mifepristone is contraindicated if the pregnancy is beyond 49 days of amenorrhoea when used with Misoprostol. Mifepristone should never be prescribed in patients with chronic adrenal failure, known allergy to Mifepristone or to any component of the product, severe asthma uncontrolled by corticosteroid therapy, porphyrias and renal failure, liver failure or malnutrition, or during breast feeding. Mifepristone is a lipophilic compound and may theoretically be excreted in the mother’s breast milk, however no data is available.
Drug Side Effects ::
Excessive vaginal bleeding; UTI; uterine haemorrhage; uterine infections; unusual tiredness or weakness; back pain; diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting; fever; dizziness; headache; anxiety; GI cramps.
Pregnancy category ::
Drug Mode of Action ::
Mifepristone is a progesterone antagonist with antiglucocorticoid activity. It binds to the intracellular progesterone receptor where it competitively inhibits progesterone attachment. It is also a partial progesterone agonist.
Drug Interactions ::
Decreased efficacy with aspirin and NSAIDs. Efficacy of corticosteroids (including inhaled) decreased, monitor patients during co-admin and for several days afterwards.